HEAT BLOWER MOTOR WON'T START IN EXTREME C

1995 Ford Taurus

Heater problem
1995 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

My son's Taurus's heater blower motor refused to start the other evening with the temperature at -10. I checked the fuses and everything seemed fine. I could only check them by sight, so I went back the next morning to check the fuses with a test light and was surprised when the fan motor started and performed normally. I did as part of my investigation check the connection to the heater resistor but because it was fairly dark I just attempted to lightly move the wiring incase a pair of boots had disturbed the wiring to the resistor. I don't want my son's wife to be caught in that position again. Have you experienced this problem, and what would you suggest I look at to ensure that the problem doesn't repeat it's self. I know that with a problem like this it is difficult to diagnose but I'm wondering if perhaps this could have just been a result of the extreme cold and that perhaps it won't repeat it's self. I called my son and after the car sitting for 9 hours in the cold his girl friend started the car and the heater worked normally on the way home. Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Cndpal

Hi: Everything you did was good. Like you said, however, it's hard to determine the problem. What you need to do is the next time it happens, check to see if the blower motor is getting power.

Let me know what you find.