RANDOM STALLING AND/OR ENGINE SHUTDOWN

1993 Ford Taurus

1993 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 182693 miles

My Taurus has developed a problem where it stalls randomly while going down the road. The engine will cut out and the check engine light will come on full. Usually, there is still the required voltage being fed to the fuel pump. It is only when I pull the car over to the side and stop that the battery and oil light also come on.

When I try to restart the car, it will crank and crank but not turn over. Only after popping the hood and messing with the cord bundle going into the relay box does it start again but it does not always restart immediately. I have just recently replaced the fuel pump and strainer in hopes that it was a fuel pump related issue. But, this morning, the car wouldn't start for quite some time and then later stalled again while driving.

The idle speed has not changed. The problem seems to come and go completely at random. Any help that you can offer would be very appreciated.
Hawthornwolf