TAURSUS BRAKE PROBLEMS

1992 Ford Taurus

I have replaced a cailper on the rear of the car. It has disc brakes on the rear and I was told I have to adjust park brake because the caliper is sticking can anyone tell me how to do this.
Cokhillbilly

There is no adjustment at the caliper for the parking brake, it is integral to the caliper, there is a gear within the caliper piston which turns it outward when you step on the park brake pedal, that is why you must use the piston tool to rotate the piston inward when you replace the pads. The adjustment is at the parking brake cable under the drivers door next to the frame, loosen or tighten there, give it a healthy dose of anti-seize compound, it'll always work for you. If your parking brake is not releasing correctly, the problem is within the cable itself, they don't last forever, or the caliper piston itself is sticking, you said you replaced the caliper though, unless there's an issue with the new one.

TaurusWheel
I didnot use the piston tool to push the piston inward I stuck the caliper and pads on is that y the caliper is sticking

Cokhillbilly
How did you get the piston to retract? There wouldn't be enough clearance for the new pads to fit, you wouldn't be able to put the caliper back over the disc. If you used c-clamp or some type of tool used to push the piston back, such as the tool used for the front calipers, you most likely will break the gears within the rear pistons. On a new or rebuilt calipoer the piston may or may not already be in the retracted position.

TaurusWheel
Thank you so much for the advice I did use a c clamp to push the caliper piston in. And I found the adjustment for the park brake under the driver side rear door. You saved me alot of time and money.

Cokhillbilly
There's a little tool you can buy expressly for the rear caliper pistons, normally around 10 bucks or so, it fits on a 3\8 rachet and allows you to retract the piston, make sure when you do, you leave the notches (2) in the 12 and 6 positions so the pins on the pads will fit in.

TaurusWheel