TAURUS WAGON IDLE???

1992 Ford Station Wagon

Computer problem
1992 Ford Station Wagon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 168000 miles

I have a problem with my station wagon. It starts normal but I have to engage the accelerator until the temp gague reaches between the " O" and " R" (for NORMAL) prior to letting off the accelerator, otherwise it stalls out on me. Once it will idle it is idiling low, so it " rattles", but it's an electronic idle. I am able to shift into reverse then back out, but 9 times out of 10 when I go to engage drive it stalls again. What could be the cause of this idling issue? The check engine light does not come on or stay on when this happens, so Im not sure if it's electrical, a starter issue, a fuel pump issue, or an O2 sensor issue. Could you please help me try to pinpoint what I need to have the mechanic check, or if I am able to fix it myself that would be great. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Mmadison

Without the check engine lght, it becomes a guessing game. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Also, have you checked the EGR to make sure it isn't carboned? And now for my first guess, have you checked the ambient temp sensor? It tells the computer the outside temp and the coolant temp. From that, the computer determines how rich or lean to make the fuel mixture. Basically, it is a high tech choke. However, without a check engine light, it's a guess.

Let me know.

I have not checked for vaccuum leaks, but will check that tonight. What is the EGR and where is it so I can check that as well. Where can I find the ambient temp sensor? Thanks for the quick reply to my question, and the assistance of where to start looking =).

Mmadison
Glad to help. THe EGR is on the intake manifold. The biggest problem with them is they pack with carbon. As a result, the valve sticks or won't seal. THey need removed cleaned, make sure the intake where they attach to the manifold isn't plugged, and the vacuum hose going to it isn't plugged.

Here is a picture of it:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_egr_3.jpg

The temp sensor should be near the thermostat housing. Here is a picture of it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_temp_2.jpg

Let me know what you find.

I'm glad to help. Thanks for the points and let me know if you have other questions.