ENGINE KNOCK

Ford Ranger

I have a 2001 Ranger 4.0 liter 4 wheel drive 67k miles. I have a knock/ping on accelleration or when I put it under a strain, like going up a hill. I have had it tuned and no engine codes appeared. The mechanic said that he thought it may just be a fouled injector and ran some cleaner through the intake. Helped a little, but it is back as strong as ever in less than three weeks. Could it be a bad injector, or something else.

Getting frustrated and need some advice.
:
Bikebald

HAve you tried either raising the octane of gas you put in it or two trying some octane booster to see if that makes it less/go away. If so It might need to run on a higher octane fuel to not ping. My Uncle wasted a small fortune on a small block ford trying to fix this when all he needed was higher octane gas.

Godbear839
That I have tried. Even used the Sunoco 94 and added the Octane 107 Booster. Still the same. I am about to give up.

Bikebald
Could be the knock sensor

Xjetmech
Where is the knock sensor located?

Bikebald
Don't know for sure. If it is a V motor there can be two of them tho. They are very picky about instalatiioon torque. Can't be too tight or too loose or they won't function properly. Need to pick up a manual. Check the links on the blue bar to the left or your local library.

Good luck and let us know, : )

Peppermrj
Built up carbon deposits can be the cause of pinging/knocking in many cases. I'd try a good fuel cleaner additive and/or perform a Fuel Air Induction Service and see if that does the trick first.

VQ35DE