PARKING BRAKE ADJUSTMENT

Ford Ranger

Hi,

I have a 1998 Ford ranger, 4.0 liter V6 with about 97,000 miles. My parking brake is not working well so I replace both rear cables, shoes (including new spring and adjuster kits). The manual I have said the parking brake cable would self adjust by working the parking brake contol several times but his does not seem to be working. The parking brake still goes to the floor of the truck and barely holds the truck. My repairs worked well enough to get it through inspection but I would not want to rely on it in a real emergence. I see where earlier models of this truck had problems with the self adjusting feature but have seen nothing for the 1998 model year. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance - Joe
Joe Chaloux

Hey Joe,
Just a weird thought but something to check. Have the brake drums measured. I would think as their diameter increases the effectivness of the parking brake decreases.

If they are within spec maybee you can split a few washers and space out the cable at some point.

Good luck and let us know. : )
peppermrj

Peppermrj