HELP ABS LIGHT

Ford Ranger

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger 4 wheel drive pickup and I am having a huge problem with it. The abs light is on, the seedometer will not work, and transmission will not shift. The check engine light came on and then went back out so I can not check the codes with reader. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with my vehicle? I have been told that it could be a wheel, transmision or rearend sensor.
2rcracers

A fellow Ranger owner, cool!

Despite the ABS light is on, does your ABS actually work properly? If not, then it could be a short in the circuit somewhere or bad ground. Couldn't hurt also to check the wheel sensors. According to my Haynes Manual I have handy, it says the ABS light will display different colors of the ABS light. If the light shows red then the fluid level is below minimum.
If the light shows an amber color, the ABS system has been turned off because of a symptom detected by the module. The ABS system is a rather complex system, so I personally would take the truck in for service.

Now for the speedometer, It's possible the pinion gear & seal is loose not functioning properly. You can pull out the instrument cluster from the dash and check the cable. It leads down to the transmission. If this needs replaced, let me know and I can give you step by step instructions how to do so from my manual.

As far as the tranny is concerned, can't say much because a trannsmission not shifting right could be a number of things, so it is hard telling. Has the fluid been changed lately? One of the sensors not reading right fooling the PCM to shift the tranny out of spec?

I'm not sure about your CE light issue. I will ask other members on here. Can you scan your vehicle anyway even if there is no CE light and come up with codes? -Op-

Oilpan49
Hi

thanks for the quick response, I called the local ford dealership and talked to them about it today. And according to them, its the abs sensor that is located in the rear end. The guy had me describe to him what it was doing and thats what he came up with. He told me that it is a sensor that usually goes out. And the part is pretty cheap, less than 25 dollars, wheew, so I am going to try that and hopefully that fixes it.

2rcracers