STARTER PROBLEMS

Ford Ranger

My son has a 01 ranger. Yest he was changing the oil and shorted the terminals across the starter with the oil filt wrench. Now his truck will not start. There is only clicking as tho the battery is half dead. We removed the strtr mtr and shorted the terminals across with a bat chrgr. The mtr seems sluggish, but the bendix kicks in and the mtr turns. Now when we go to start it I noticed that there seems to be a drain on the electrical and the speedometer goes up to 85 km/hr and the odometer starts rolling numbers over as if we were moving? The truck is a 2001 ford ranger 2 whl dr 3.0L automatic 100,000 kms
Gregsnoboarder

Just for starters (ha ha) look at all the fuses. The starter will not perform very well on the battery charger. Isn't there a relay on the line from the battery to the starter? That could be bad now. I also suspect the Variable Speed Sensor (VSS) may have taken a hit as well. It is hard to say what all took a hit as a result of the power short.

Bruce Hunt