PROBLEMS

Ford Ranger

I have a 1993 4X4 Ford Ranger 4.0L Automatic Transmission with approximately 187K miles on it. The other day while driving, it lost power and I noticed transmission fluid leaking from what appeared to be the front pump seal area. At the same time I noticed my brakes also seemed to have a different feel at the pedal. The pedal seemed to be stiffer than normal. I have been noticing the strange brake pedal feel for a couple months, usually when the engine is hot.

As for the transmssion leak, I read that a faulty cooling system can cause a transmission leak at the front pump seal area because the radiator is not properly cooling the transmission fluid. Too much heat build up causes expansion thus the leaking. With that in mind I checked my coolant system and I noticed I have a leaky radiator.

The strange thing is that after I noticed the transmission leak the other day, I parked the vehicle and let it sit for a few days. When I went back out to check the coolant system issue that I read about, I discoverd that I had no brakes. The brake pedal goes completely to the floor with very little resistance. Is it possible that I simply have two unrelated problems or do you think the problems are common? By the way, I did start the engine and I noticed the transmission was not leaking. I assume the engine had cooled off and sealed up the leak.
Dlgries

Id have to say they are unrelated problems. You say you notice a brake problem for a month previous. So that was probably your brake booster showing its age or the lines starting to go. But for the tranny make sure it is not to full of fluid. Also does it have a burnt smell?

Blackop555
Thanks for your feedback. I did not think the problems were related, but it seemed odd that they occurred at the same time. I have not noticed the transmission fluid having a burnt smell, but over the last few months when I have noticed the brake pedal feeling unusually firm, I have noticed something smelling hot. Concerning the brakes, I don't see any leaks and the master cyclinder is not low on fluid.

Dlgries
Its time to change the transmission fluid make sure when you fill it up and check it you have the engine running or you will over fill it. With the brakes where was the smell comign from? The brakes or under the hood by the booster? You may have dirt in the booster causing the pedal to be incredibly stiff as it may be blocking the pressure and causing it to build up.

Blackop555
I had one of this problems on my 1995 ford ranger if it sits for couple hours the brakes wont work and you would have to pump them and they wouldnt work good.
So I went to the car dealer place and they unplugged something in the engine and my gas milage increased and my breaks start to work
so yea I reccomend to go to Ford place and ask them how to fix them because its something in engine not in fluid or brakes or cables

Alex7772006