'96 ::CRANK SENSOR

1996 Ford Ranger

I have a 1996 ford Ranger, 2WD, Standard, 4Cyl, 100K+

Yesterday I was stopped at a Stop sign, and when I started up again my truck acted as if it were not getting any fuel. Sputtered and then died. It would restart, but do the exact same thing again.

I had it towed to a mechanic, and he is teling me that it is (" he thinks" ) a " Bad Crank Sensor and it will cost around $500 to fix.&Quot;

I understand the crank sensor is used to send signals for firing, but should I question the $500 for this model truck? Is this reasonable?
Nick

The first thing to do would be to check the fuel pressure. If it is low then, the fuel pump has probably failed. It is always a good idea to exhast the least expensive possibilities first because if you go and spend $500 for something that doesn't fix it, you'll be kicking yourself. Have them run a fuel pressure test first.

Catch_15
Let's say that fuel pressure is good. It really is the " crank sensor" . Is $500 what I should expect to pay to have one replaced on a Ford Ranger? Is this something I can do in my driveway?

Nick