FUEL

2003 Ford Ranger

2003 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 165000 miles

Driving down the road my truck shuts off! (Acts like lost of fuel). Tow to ford dealer $165.00 later no part install, $80.00 tow bill and told a reset set button was done! This has happen twice now Ford man states that only " Ford" can reset the button! So is the Fuel pump going bad or a reset button! I'm not going back to the Ford man. He got me twice! No more!
Camper Chuck

Ok Camper Chuck,sorry for all your troubles-to prevent you from getting a third strike locate the Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch-see diagram below:

Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch
View 151-30

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_i_4.jpg

So replace it or keep pushing the button! I did find it thank you! Can I still donate $$$$!

Camper Chuck
Yes, you may do so if you wish

So replace the fuel shut off switch!

Camper Chuck
What is the switch doing -is it continously tripping or what?

No after about 20/30 min. My engine shuts off. If I have a passenger with me they can push the button while i'm coasting and the truck will start up and run. I also noticed that the area is very warm to the touch! Thanks

Camper Chuck
There's a short within the fuel pump circuit-try swapping the fuel pump relay with a like one and see what happens.