REAR BRAKE SHOE REPLACEMENT

2000 Ford Ranger

Brakes problem
2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 124000 miles

I need to replace my rear brake shoes but I can't get the drums off, my Haynes Manual shows using a screw driver on the back side of the drum and pushing the adjuster lever forward to release the shoes and allow the drum to come off but I can't see the lever through the peep hole, so how can I get them off?
Engine343

THat is what you need to do. Use a flashlight to see where the star wheel is. Then, as they described, you need to turn it to release the pressure from the shoes. Basically, you loosten the star so the shoes move away from the drum.

I wish I had an easier way to explaine it, but that is how it is done.

Try the flashlight to see if that will help. After you get it off and replace the shoes, you will need to readjust the new shoes (tighten the adjuster) until you get a slight drag on the wheel.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Thanks for the info will try the flashlight and see if I can see the star wheel.

Engine343