GEAR SHIFTER ON STEERING COLUMN

2000 Ford Ranger

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 156k miles

My 2000 Ford Ranger will not go back into the park position. I was driving it a couple days ago and when I got to my destination and tried to put it in park the selector on the dash/steering column stopped between reverse and park. It still goes into gear and is driveable but it won't go into park. Upon further investigation I noticed a star head bolt laying on the floor on the driver side. I took the steering column casing off and noticed several similar bolts but I haven't located where this bolt came from yet! I've taken several things off but I still haven't fixed the problem. Do you have any suggestions on a better way to troubleshoot and fix this problem. Thankyou for your time!
Devonmw

I have seen a few of those loosen up where the shift assembly bolts to the column. You will have to look closely with a bright light to find a home for that bolt, try on top/rear of the shifter assembly, where the cable/linkage attaches. May even require removal of the column to access the entire unit to see what fell apart

Jack42