SMOOTHNESS OF TORQUE CONVERTER?

1999 Ford Ranger

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

Ok this truck was abused no doubt by municipality yet fairly low mileage. I have asked this elsewhere only to get the response its normal. IT seems like the truck has a sort of hard on hard off response as if going into gear when you apply gas or brake and stop.

I have driven many other older automatics that seemed to not have this behavior. My brothers F350 an entirely different truck with auto and diesel he says does this too but only noticeable when starting out and identifies the issue as the fuel saving locking torque converters they began using at some point. The issue is not like some horrible lurching or vibration its just different than earlier cars and trucks I have driven.

Is this a difference in torque converter design that would be this noticeable on this xlt ext cabl that I should notice it? Is this really normal or should I be expecting transmission repair?
Xp64