DASHBOARD & FOG LIGHTS

1999 Ford Ranger

1999 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I recently changed the radio in my Ranger and everything seemed to work great until driving home one night I noticed my fog lights and dashboard lights did not work. All my fuses look fine and I can't find anything in my owner's manual that lists a particular fuse for the dashboard/fog lights. My turn signals and hazard lights work as well as my dome light. All dash indicator lights (brake, check engine, etc.) Work as well. I can't see how putting in a radio could affect my dashboard and fog lights. Is there a fuse or relay that could be bad and I'm not seeing it and if so, where could I find it?
Jpwilson7675

When you say you changed the radio what do you mean? Did you change factory for factory or did you put in an aftermarket. If you put in aftermarket how did you install it. Did you cut and splice (wrong way to do this) or did you buy the harness adapter to install it? Be honest and let me know how you did the install. Thanks.

Racefan966
The radio was an after market radio I had from my Chevrolet Malibu. I bought the " Ford Ranger harness adapted" but I had to splice the radio to the harness. I did not cut the plug for the truck! I followed the color codes per the instructions and had 2 wires left from the radio and 2 from the harness but they were not color coded the same. I know the unused radio wires were for the amp and power antenna (I have neither). I capped the unused wires. The radio works great. I just don't have running/fog lights or dashboard illumination lights. I even disconnected the radio (removed it entirely) and the running/fog lights and dashboard lights still do not work. I believe there is a fuse or relay blown and I don't know where.

Jpwilson7675
The problem was two fold. Jonathan from Auto Zone found the blown fuse and we found we kept blowing fuses. I removed the radio and put in a new fuse and everything was fine. Then after further inspection I found one of the wires on the harness labeled dashboard lighting, so I disconnected and capped that wire and reconnected the radio. Everything works great, running lights, dashboard lights, radio, yeah!

Jpwilson7675
Well that is where I going the next is that dimmer wire for the factory stereo that dims the light on the stereo when you turn the lights on. That wire can't be connected to the new stereo that is why I asked how it was installed. Anyway that is great glad you found it.

Racefan966
Ok that helps me out half way so what about the illumination wire where do connect it?

Neildcashman
Nowhere. It was for the factory deck. There are aftermarket decks with the dimmer feature, but not many.

Rivermikerat