SOME ONE PLEASE HEATER PROBLEM

1998 Ford Ranger

Heater problem
1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

ok well my heater works fine at idle, you can sellect panel or floor or defrost and it will switch to anyone but when you have it on anything other then defrost when you are accelerating the heater switches back to the {defualt} defrost but if you catch the desired speed your going for and let up on the gas to keep the speed say 60 it will then about 10 sec after you continue doing 60 it will switch back to what ever the switch is on. I know the heater runs off the vac from engine and have disconnect the main hoses from firewall that com from engine and go to heater and tested them for leaks and they hold pressure and with truck running and heater on when I pressure the hoses the heater will work fine on any sellection by simply sucking on the hose and holding the pressure and they will not leak off. From their I hooked them back up and opened the hood and traced the hoses further, theirs a hose from the engine which goes somewhere under the front passenger fender in between the metal outer fender and between the actual fender well cover or wheel splash cover after looking I noticed a black bullet shaped cannister about 5 to 8 inches long that I think that hose from the engine is going too. Then their is a hose coming out from that same location that splits off into 2 diff hoses wich one goes into fire wall to heater and other goes to 4x4 vac silinoid. From that splitter I unhooked the hose going into fire wall to heater and checked for leaks again and it still holds pressure. I am stumped the 4x4 works great and vac hubs lock in no problem and they are running off the same splitter that of the heater. I also would like any info about what the bullet shaped cannister is that is in wheel well between fender and its purpose please any suggestions or info would help thanks.
93olds

Sounds like you have a vaccum leak in the heater door diapham. Does it open and close(go from floor to defrost) when you step on the throttle.A vaccum drop, as open throttle will lower the over all pressure and make small leaks more apparent.

60's child