GEM MODULE

1998 Ford Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 98,000 miles

my 4x4 quit working this winter, I checked the motor it is ok. My 4-hi, 4lo light keeps flashing and making a noise behind my radio. I pulled the radio out and there is what they call a generic electrical module there. It has 4x4 sticker on it. Could this be my problem with my 4x4. Also my temp. Control does not work either. Could both of these be the possibilty of a bad module. I would appreciate your imput on this problem. Thank you problem auto.
Problemauto

If the shift motor is good the GEM is the next posible candidate. If you have a digital multi meter I can walk you through a few tests to determine this before replacing it. Let me know what you want to do.

Racefan966
To racefan 966; yes I have a multi meter so testing it first would really help. Would this module have any effect on my heater control? Thank you problemauto

Problemauto
OK before getting to far do you have the means to scan the truck? What I need to know is if there is any codes stored in the GEM that may help point us to where we should start? Let me know and we will go from there.

Racefan966
Yes there is a code showing up on my scanner and it is p1781. I put a new 4x4 switch when this problem first showed up. Will this help you to diagnose the problem. Let me know if yopu need anything else. Problemauto.

Problemauto
Ok this is pointing to the PCM as the problem. Before changing it I need you to inspect the wiring from the gem to the switch and check for any breaks or ? Unplug the gem and check for corrosion. If that all looks good then use the pic below and unplug the gem and the switch and check the resistance at term 14.

Gem plug

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_208.jpg

Switch

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic1_34.jpg

Racefan966