TEMP SENSOR

1997 Ford Ranger

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 175000 miles

I just got this truck, some one had started trying to fix it, but just messed it up. I had to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets, waterpump, and thermostat. My problem is The plug was cut that goes to the temperature gage, and the gage sending unit was not in the intake(next to thermostat housing) I replaced the sending unit with a new one, and I tested the temp gage by grounding it out, and it spiked to full hot which means its good, but I cant get it to read the temp. I dont know what to do next. I just hooked the cut wire to one of the terminals on the sending unit its a one wire set up and it just dont work. What should I do any info would be great and worthy of a good donation thanks
Tjmcdonald

Hello again.. could you please use the reply button at the bottom of this box .. not open another box .. it's pure luck i spotted your name in the list .. if you use the reply button it tells me you have replied !! thanks

COOLANT TEMPERATURE READS INACCURATELY (RANGER)
Perform TEMPERATURE GAUGE TEST under COMPONENT TESTS. If temperature gauge perform properly, replace temperature sensor and retest system. If temperature gauge does not perform properly, go to next step.
Turn ignition off. Disconnect temperature sensor harness connector. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect instrument cluster connector C215. See Fig. 3 . Measure resistance of Red/White wire between instrument cluster connector C215, terminal No. 3 and temperature sensor harness connector. Resistance should be less than 5 ohms. Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster connector C215, terminal No. 3 (Red/White wire). Resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is as specified, go to next step. If resistance is not as specified, repair open or short in Red/White wire and retest system.
Disconnect instrument cluster connector C216. See Fig. 4 . Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster connector C216, terminal No. 1 (Red/Yellow wire). If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair open in Red/Yellow wire between instrument cluster connector and fuse No. 11 in interior fuse panel and retest system.
Turn ignition off. Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster connector C215, terminal No. 2 (Black/White wire). If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in Black/White wire between instrument cluster connector and ground and retest system.
Measure resistance between instrument cluster temperature gauge clips "B" and "S". Resistance should be 215-256 ohms. Measure resistance between instrument cluster temperature gauge clips "G" and "S". Resistance should be 90-110 ohms. If resistances are as specified, replace instrument cluster printed circuit and retest system. See PRINTED CIRCUIT (RANGER) under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. If resistances are not as specified, replace temperature gauge and retest system. See GAUGES under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.

3)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_3_11.jpg

4)

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_4_5.jpg

Dave H