1997 Ford Ranger

1997 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

My ranger has an annoying habit of failing to start. It does this on a seemingly random basis. Regardless of how long I drive or how long it sits, sometimes it just cranks (at a normal speed), but won't start. When it does run it performs well with no loss of fuel economy or power. I have performed koeo and koer diagnostics and all sensors check OK save for a P1443 evaporative purge canister valve circuit fault. Would that cause a no start condition? Or would this problem be a failure of the fuel injection or ignition system failing to initialize?

Next time it refuses to start do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem.

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it