SLUGGISH AND 4W LIGHT STUCK ON

1995 Ford Ranger

1995 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have a 4x4 Ford Ranger that starts every time, warms up, and runs ok with the exception of some sluggishnish. When I 1st start it up, the 4W and 4Low lights are on. I have come to realize that, when I put it in neutral, the relay associated with the generic electronic module (GEM) clicks a few times and the 4Low light goes out-with the 4W light remaining on. This relay is behind the radio and I have even removed the radio in order to feel this happen with my hand. The front wheels are manual locking hubs and are off. The 2W/4W/4Low switch is in the 2W position. As I said, the vehicle runs ok, but exhibits some restriction. I have looked in the Haynes book to read about the " Transfer electronic shift motor". Is it possible that the relay in question is trying to shift this motor without fully engaging it into 2 wheel? Any and all help would be grateful. And also, would I be able to see this motor function if it was removed and the vehicle started/put into gear? I am perplexed and would appreciate some ideas before I venture out into the Pittsburgh cold to tackle this problem.
Ericlang5