TROUBLE CODE 332 / INSUFFICIENT FLOW DETEC

1994 Ford Ranger

1994 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200228 miles

1994 FORD RANGER. CODE 332 INSUFFICIENT EGR FLOW DETECTED SHOWING ON MY SCANNER (AUTO X-RAY 6000), ENGINE STARTS FINE, WHEN WARMING STARTS TO STALL AND SURGES, WHEN UP TO TEMP, RUNS WELL BUT LIGHT COMES ON. MANIFOLD VAC@16lb, EGR WORKING, INTAKE PORTS CLEAN (LITTLE WET), NEW EGR VAC SOLENIOD, NEW BACK PRESSURE SENSOR, NEW IAC, NEW COMPUTER, VAC LINES GOOD. DON'T KNOW WHERE ELSE TO LOOK
ERERERT

If you have already replaced the backpressure sensor, then you likely have a plugged passage in the throttle body. It has narrow spots that will plug up with carbon.

Wrenchtech
I REMOVED THE EGR VALVE AND AIRDUCT, AND CLEANED OUT PORT TO PLENUM, IT APPEARED TO BE CLEAN, EXAUST TUBE TO MANIFOLD OPEN

ERERERT
With the engine idling, apply vacuum to the EGR valve and see if the engine tries to stall. If not, the passage is still plugged.

Wrenchtech
ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I TRIED, ENGINE STALLS

ERERERT
Does the EGR hold vacuum when applied?

Wrenchtech
EGR DOSE HOLD VAC, CHECKED CONTINUITY BETWEEN EGR VAC SOLENIOD AND COMPUTER, ALL IS GOOD, NOT SURE WHEN VAC IS APPLY'D? I KNOW ITS NOT CONSTANT

ERERERT
You may have a defective DPFE. They have a very high failure rate. You'll need a scan tool to see what it's doing.

Wrenchtech
I CAN UNDERSTAND A NEW PRODUCT BEING DEFECTIVE, BUT WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF A NEW DPFE UNIT BEING BAD?

ERERERT
Probably about 25%.
I'm not suggesting to change it. You just need to test it.

Wrenchtech
THANKS, I'LL TRY TO TEST THOROUGHLY TOMORROW.

ERERERT