IDLE ISSUES

1992 Ford Ranger

1992 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I have a 92 Ranger with a 3.0 6 cyl and when I start it, cold or warm, it idles perfectly but the second that I put it in gear the rpms jump to around 1200 and it slams into gear. I also have an issue with slowing down or coming to a stop. It will seem to slow normally but when I actually stop the rpms don't come down. When I get the truck stopped it sometimes settles and sometimes I just have to hold it there. It doesn't do it all the time when stopping but almost every time when I put it in gear. I have tried to change the IAC and the TPS as well as check for vacuum leaks to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fordman66

Have you check the air charge temp sensor or coolant sensor? These tell the computer cridical info that help with idle adjustments. Have you used throttle body cleaner and cleaned the throttle body? I don't think it was the IAC motor because if the idle speed will change then it is working now it is up to us to figure out what is telling the computer to change the idle. If you have a digital multi meter then I need to know the resistance (ohm) of both sensors and if you would get the truck to normal temp first that would help unless you know the temp of the sensors when you test them. Get back to me and we will see if either is bad. Don't forget to get the ohm's reading ok.

Racefan966
I haven't gotten to the air charge or temp sensors yet. I do have a digital multi meter so checking them is no problem. I had an idle issue about 2 yrs back (it wouldn't idle) iac and tps change problem solved. Given that I didn't think that was the problem now. Just gave the truck a tune up (plugs, air filter, cap, rotor) while it was sitting because that doesn't happen much. Idles smoother but still no change in my issue. I found out that the water pump is leaking and by the sound it was making the bearings are starting to go out so that will need to be fixed (i'm soo excited). While i'm under the hood i'll test the sensors and get you those numbers. Thanks for the reply.

Fordman66
Ok that sounds great if the those sensors test bad then we will go to test the tps just to make sure. So you have a Great Thanksgiving and get back to me with what you find. Thanks

Racefan966