ENGINE RUN'S HOT

Ford Probe

I am in need of help with my 1995 Ford Probe GT V6 2.5L car. It has approx (I believe 154,000 miles on it) and its a great car.

Problem is this, the engine runs but it always runs hot quickly and when raced a bit, the exhaust puts out like a white " steam" type smoke.

I was told by my brother who knows a bit about cars that it might be either a cracked head gasket or a cracked head. I need to know exactly what it might be cause among that I've been told it was the CYLINDER head. I am so confused and just need to know down right. Which head is it?

I was also referred to put a new timing belt on and a thermostat as well. I know it need a new battery but like I said, I'm stuck with which head is the actual one that needs to be checked for cracks and which one doesn't. Please help me.

-- Dustin
BabyBoy06

You can pull out the spark plugs and see which one has antifreeze on it. The one you find with coolant on it is the head you're looking for.

Bootdog
So basically, the spark plugs closer to the head with collant on it is the head I want?

Alright, thanks again. Now what if the head is cracked, is it repairable?

BabyBoy06
For a definitive answer take it to the Ford dealer for a leakdown test to confirm a blown headgasket, then take it from there once you have a diagnosis one way or the other. If you have a local repair shop that is capable of this test and qualified, you could also take it there. Get this done asap, if you're running hot, you may inflict more pain onto your vehicle, it is the single most damaging thing you can do to your engine all things being equal

TaurusWheel
What you'll need to do is send the head to a machine shop. They can check it for you to make sure that the head is good or not. And no, a cracked head is no good.

Bootdog
I would take it but I can't even drive it to a Ford dealership and its too expensive to even have a tow truck take it, so we'll just see what we can do about fixing the head.

By the way, how long would you all estimate this to take if my brother or my father-in-law were to undertake this using the manual?

BabyBoy06