93 GT - SHAKING (TRIED USUAL REMEDIES)

1993 Ford Probe

I have a 1993 Ford Probe GT, 2.5L, V6 Manual Transmission. I have recently begun to notice a harsh shaking when the car is idling and accelerating. It appears to happen more in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear at low rpms and high rpms. It seems smoother when rpms are in midrange (2,000 to 2,750). I have been searching your forum and trying the remedies suggested. Therefore, I have replaced the following items:
- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Wires
- Air Filter
- Engine Mount.

None of these solutions have fixed the shaking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
93Probe

A clarifying question: I'm not clear as to whether you seemed to indicate whether or not the shaking was coming from the engine or some drive train component. So will the car shake while sitting still and revving the engine, or does it only shake while driving? If it doesn't shake while the car is sitting, then it's not coming from the engine. Let us know.

Indyuke
That is a good question, I should have specified that. The car does shake while it is sitting and the engine is being revved. It doesn't appear to be as severe under these conditions but still very apparent. Let me know if you need to know anymore information. Thank you in advance for your response!

93Probe
Here's several ideas.

You might have low or no compression on one cylinder.
A completely plugged fuel injector.
Spark might not actually be reaching a spark plug.

If your check engine light is on, that might indicate that the knock sensor has detected a misfire.

Good job on thinking engine mounts. They wear out too, thus allowing the engine to do a lot of shaking and flopping around.

Indyuke
I never thought of the low or no compression to one cylinder. I did want to run a suggestion by you that another person had suggested.

Would a bad ignition coil be the cause of the shaking?

Would scanning the engine pick up the problems you mentioned if the " check engine" light was on? The problem is that about 4 years ago I had Ford run the engine scan and fix all problem codes. After this was completed, the " check engine" light was still on. So they told me it could be a faulty light indicator, which I am starting to believe is not true : )

One thing I think I forgot to mention also was that a couple of times I have smelt a gas smell while driving. I don't know if this impacts your decision.

93Probe
Or maybe a bad 02 Sensor? Or bad Mass Air Flow?
Thanks!

93Probe