SHIFTING GEARS AND GETTING UP TO SPEED

1993 Ford Probe

1993 Ford Probe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 165000 miles

I just bought this car from a friend it runs fine in every way except today I began to have a problem with the car getting up to speed and a high revving when in gear. My car is not shifting correctly and is revving extremely high without getting much speed. For example, when I go from stop to first the motor revs around a 6-7 on the RPM gauge but doesn't go above 10 MPH shifting into second gets me up to 25 MPH and Third will get me to 35-45 MPH all revving the same as in first. My fiance thinks something may be wrong with the clutch plate but I would like to have a professional opinion before going into the mechanic. What is wrong how much is it to fix and can me and a couple of my fiancé's friends fix this without much trouble?
Rbowers2

Hi rbowers2, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation this is what keeps us going to help.

Your clutch is slipping-when accelerating from a stop and rpm going sky high and vehicle not picking up speed the way it should-Replace the clutch assembly-

Dunno the costs bcuz it varies with location could be $70.00-$130.00 per flat rate hr-

Thank you so much! You really helped I just had one more question you didnt answer is this something that someone with some experience could do or is this something I definitely need to take to a mechanic?

Rbowers2
Is this something that someone with some experience could do I don't see why not with all the tools/equipment available an experience DIY can accomplish it-saves money

Thank you! You truely have helped I do have one final question. If I drive short distances until I get this fixed(probly within the next couple days) can this hurt anything else in my car should I even attempt to drive it?
Again thanks you have been the biggest help during the process of fixing my car!

Rbowers2
You'll be fine as long as its not slipping real bad on 1st/2nd gear