FORD PROBE EXHAUST PROBLEM

1993 Ford Probe

I have a 1993 Ford probe/se 2.0 D.O.H.C with 187000 miles with new head, intake, exhaust and valve cover gaskets and timing belt and plugs and wires when you crank it up you can stand on the gas pedel and it might get up to 2000 rpms I did it just a few mins ago for about 20 seconds then turned it off and looked under the hood and the Exhaust manifold was glowing red what is goin on out of time? Please HELP
Junglelove_1269

Plugged converter? Disconnect exhaust and see if it stops.

O.K it is dark now but first thing in the am I will thanks for helping

Junglelove_1269
I disconnected the exhaust and no change. There is a lot of gas vapors coming out of the exhaust manifold I had a hard time getting the crankshaft balancer bolt out and I might have turned the crankshaft anyway to fix it or check to see if I have it out?

Junglelove_1269
Let me back up a bit. Why was all the work done in the first place?

Timing off is a good possibility. It sounds like it's not burning fuel in the chambers, but in the manifold instead.

It would be good to get Tauruswheel or one of the Ford moderators on this one.

Well it all started with a simple Oil change with the plugs and wires next then I went to store and came back to a cut timing belt and well with 187000 on the car I went ahead and changed the head gasket since I had it all apart

Junglelove_1269
Verify the wire are routed right. Easy to mix up. Real easy. I'm assuming this thing must be misfiring pretty good.

Yeah man runs real bad but all the wires that I disconnected I labeled and took pictures I made sure I connected them to the proper place and the plug wires I have took them off 2 or 3 times just to make sure they are in the right place

Junglelove_1269
Recheck the timing marks, and make sure the #1 cylinder is at TDC.

New head bolts too? Torqued to spec in order? Head bolts removed in proper order? HEad shaved?

It was running good before the work, right?

The reason I ask, is the distributers on these were problem, expensive too. If it ran okay before though, then it doesn't matter.

IT was running good before the work, right?

Well it ran ok I just wanted to give it a tune-up

Junglelove_1269