STALLING IN DRIVE

1989 Ford Probe

PLEASE HELP ME. I HAVE A 1989 FORD PROBE AUTOMATIC WITH 165,000 KLM'S. THE THING IS, WHEN I START IT UP, IT RUNS GREAT. BUT WHEN I PUT IT INTO DRIVE, IT STALLS. I HAVE TO GIVE IT MAJOR GAS AND SLAM IT INTO DRIVE TO GO ANYWHERE. ONCE I'M OFF IT GOES GOOD BUT WHEN I GET TO A STOP LIGHT, IT WANTS TO STALL AGAIN. I PUT IT INTO NUETRAL AND SLAM IT INTO DRIVE AGAIN WITH THE REVS UP. IS THERE A RESET IN THE TRANSMISSION. MAYBE A HEAT SENSOR ACTING UP? IT DOESN'T DO IT IN REVERSE. DOES THIS TRANS HAVE A CILINOID. YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREAT
SAYS HE

Edited out, sorry

TaurusWheel
Any check engine light? Sounds like the torque convertor is permantly locked up, will cause the car to stall. If no check engine light, have someone scan your car for codes, trans codes won't always set the light, I recommend you buy yourself the code reader, about 39 bucks, Actron or others make them, simple to use, invaluble tool, too much guessing without it. There is a solenoid that controls torque comvertor lockup, could be bad.

TaurusWheel