CLUTCH QUESTION

1989 Ford Probe

1989 Ford Probe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 195000 miles

I have a 1989 ford probe GT 4clyinder turbo charge engine with a 5 speed transmission I just had a newly rebuilt transmission installed a couple of weeks ago and I had replaced the clutch slave cylinder because it was leaking everything was good until
01-02-08 I was on my wayu to work and on the freeway I was doing about 80 mhps when I started losing power at the pavement I backed off the gas and dropped the stick into 4th gear to gain power but to no avail I was having to rev the engine to about 6 grand on the tach off the light to get the car to move now I had lost every thing I was not able to do this In first gear when I pulled over on the freeway I am thinking that the clutch had finally took a crap I would like it if you could tell me more because I had a acura integra Ls 5 speed that did the samething but I was told that hydrulic clutch system don't go so easily but keep in mind that the car has 195000 mile on her and reg clutch and the slave clylinder was leaking for awhile can you please shed some light on the possible problem can it be the cl; utch or the transmission again thank you in advance jason from michigan
Maverick79

Hi there,

Do you have clutch pedal pressure? If you place the transmission in gear will the car roll? If so the clutch drive plate may have destroyed the centre drive hub or the problem is in the transmission, you will have to drop the box to prove anything, I would be thinking the clutch centre.

Mhpautos