RADIATOR/TRANSMISSION FLUID/ANTIFREEZE CROSS-OVER

Ford Other

Here is my problem:

I have a 96 E150 Ford conversion van with a 351ci engine.

I just replaced the radiator because it had a hole in the top portion.
I have an external transmission oil cooler that was daisy-chained into the bottom " bar" of the radiator.

I have a total of 3 lines that were feeding into the old radiator.

2 were conclusively transmission lines. The third was? I don't really know. I put the lines on in nearly the same order; but did switch two of them because of the way that the new radiator " looked" when compared to the old.

End result; tranny fluid and antifreeze mixing freely.

Questions:

1. Does that line on the far right (passenger side) of the radiator contain antifreeze and is routed somewhere that NEEDs the antifreeze? It has no other feed/return line; it stands alone for all I can tell and cannot really see where the line goes except deeper back into the engine/transmission area; remember, this is a full-sized conversion van.

2. I have flushed (and flushed, and flushed lol) the transmission with new DexronIII; is it probably ruined anyway? It still works fine right now; I only have driven a few miles with it before discovering the problem.

3. If no one knows the status of that far " right" line, then tell me this: Does a line EVER carry antifreeze from a line in the radiator to the engine/transmission somewhere? Everyone I have asked tells me " never". I have it disconnected at the moment from the radiator. Where the line connects to the radiator, the radiator leaks antifreeze straight out; pours is the better answer. I put the shipping plug into the radiator and began flushing the transmission lines( not this third; just watched it since it was open too). Nothing came out of this third line except steam; copious amounts of steam that did not grow lesser; lots and lots of steam.

I am really thinking that this must be some strange cooling line that is just unknown to me. I did not add the external cooler myself; this is a conversion van that I purchased 2nd hand some years ago, so I don't know more than I have told you.

I do have a new filter for the transmission and am going to replace it next and refill the transmission with clean fluid again. I have gone through about 2 cases of transmission fluid to this point; is that enough?

I drain into a bucket from one of the cooler lines (clearing the cooler at the same time) and keep pouring quarts into the transmission through the fill/dipstick tube.

Any help/advice/guidance will be greatly appreciated!

From Dan-in-Washington-state
Grymmm1234