ENGINE HEADS

Ford Other

Lincoln continental runs smooth but does not idle white smoke comes out of exhaust and a lot of water it is a 92 with a 3.8 v-6 is it the heads or just the gas?
Short_bus_53

White smoke is a coolant leak in the combustion chamber. It could be a blown head gasket, intake manifold gasket or cracked heads. STOP the car and don't drive it. Bearings don't like water in the oil.

Losone
I have the same year car as you do. I had to do a head job about 2 years ago, at 160,000 miles. I had the same problem, but not as bad as you do. I just notice that my water was going down in my radiator, but I had no leaks, and no water on the ground from the overflow. I would have to keep topping it off about once a week, about a quart or two. I did a compression test, and found one of the cyl was lower then the rest. I pulled the heads and found a bad head gasket. My car had blow a radiator hose about two weeks before, and had overheated. I found that this is a common problem with this engine. I had to remove my heads and take them to a machine shop as the overheating had warped them. I did all the work myself, so the only cost was in materials and the machine shop work. That cost me $75.00 to true up both heads. One thing, if you do the job yourself, make sure you use new head bolts, do not reuse the old ones, not a good idea. There is not a fast cheap fix for this. Good luck.

GAMBLERR
GAMBLERR is right in all respects. I am glad he mentioned the head bolts. Good luck!

Losone
One other guestion could be the block may have cracked?

Short_bus_53
Lets put it this way. The only time I saw a cracked block is when a connecting rod went through the engine when it ran out of oil due to a leak.

Losone