ALTERNATOR / BELT TENSIONER '98 WINDSTAR

1998 Ford Other

Hi,

I recently had problems with my '98 Ford Windstar 3.0L. When I turn my radio on the car sputtered, then cut off. I removed the detatchable face and started the van back up, everything was ok. I just don't use the radio now.

This happened 2 years ago and was ok when battery was replaced. So, we check the battery at Kragen and they said battery is good, we have a charging system problem, possibly the alternator.

So, I take the van to a local mechanic and he says the alternator is not 'clicking', it needs to be replaced. $211 for new alternator and $70 for labor. He then comes back and says the belt tensioner is not moving forward, backward, or side to side(?). That needs to be replaced now and the serpentine belt will need to be cut. So now we're at $550 for the whole thing and I decide to get more info before I let him do it.

Does this sound right? Does he need to replace the belt tensioner to install the new alternator? Why does the serpentine belt need to be cut? The van has been running fine after the initial problem for about 2 weeks, so I don't think my alternator is toast just yet.

Thanks for your help!
Hathor