ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL PROBLEM

Ford Other

1996 Lincoln Continental, 105 K miles. 4.6 liter. A couple of weeks ago I noticed driving in the snow that when the traction control kicked in I would hear a loud fast clicking noise coming from engine compartment. It seems that the traction control is working, but I never had this noise before.

Also when I went to brake on snow I got a very loud crunching / clicking noise and my brake pedal vibrated and the front wheels locked up and I had no control over the brakes.

I just had all new OEM rotors, Calipers, and pads replaced on all four wheels. The brakes work perfect in dry weather but I did notice when I do a panic stop I get that crunching / clicking noise and the brakes act like they don't want to stop and fade real bad.

What do you think the problem is?
Rlfallon

Have it scaned or do you get flash codes?
Or something may have happened to the abs system while working on the brake system.
Get the codes and get back.

Try driving 2000-4000 miles to "break-in" the new parts.

Mathiaso
The ABS light on the dash does not come on at all and I checked the fuse and it is ok, I even replaced the fuse with a new one.

Rlfallon
When they did the brakes if they didnt lube the calipers slides they will click and make crunch or a popping sound or the caliper bolts are loose as for the fading peddle the brakes sound like they need to be bleed again or a bleeder on the caliper could be loose or it could be the brake master is bad

Littlebigbronco
Yes That could be the case.
recheck the caliber and rotor and add a light film of brake grease on the anchor points where the caliper and pads rest.
make also sure to aplly light layer of high-temoerature or brake grease to the threads of the star wheel assembly and the washers.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_scan0001_1.jpg

Mathiaso