HONDA CIVIC HATCHBACK

1991 Ford Other

To Whom it May Concern,

I just purchased a 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback with 225,000 miles on it.

I bought it from a classmate and he put a new transmission and greddy clutch kit in because the old transmission had a chipped tooth in 3rd gear.

After a few days of driving the civic, it became increasingly difficult to shift into 1st gear, especially when stopped. 2nd gear is tough, but not nearly as bad as 1st. Reverse also grinds sometimes.

All the other gears work great. It seems to be a releasing problem. I adjusted the clutch cable, and it seemed fine for three or four days. Now it is back were it was.

It doesnt seem to be getting any worse, and it is better when the engine is cold. But it is a problem I would like to fix. Being a student, and father, I cannot afford to take it to a transmission shop unless it is really necessary. Im not sure if this makes a difference, but it needs a new CV Shaft on the passenger side. Please point me in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Jason
Jed350j

Are you sure the clutch cable is in good condition and that the adjusting nut is not loose and turning. The new tranny and clutch but possibly the old and original cable.

Bruce Hunt
Is there any way to check the cable? I have the resources to do all the work myself, im just hoping I dont have to put alot of money into it. Should I replace the cable just to be sure? Advance auto has them for around $40.

Jed350j
What is the casing on like for condition? On the cable itself, is there any stray wires that have let go?

I guess my consideration is that if the clutch job was done correctly the only consideration would be replacing the cable. I looked up pricing on that part and though I could find it for around or just under $30, once you add shipping & handling you are at the price you found.

Bruce Hunt