MODELS ENGINE CONTROL MODULE WIRING RELAY

1987 Ford Other

1987 Other Ford Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87,000 miles

I just bought this car its a 1987 merkur xr4ti 2.3 liter turbo. Car sat in storage for 5 years went to buy it the owner said fule pump was out so I replaced it the ignition key switch has been pop out lost keys car cranks but no juice going to any fuel pumps lights or anything works. Any idea were to start. Also was wanting to know were the engine control module wiring relay is located at on this car. Hope you can help me ty larry
Larry62882

Ok so do you have power to anything when you turn the key on? Will it try to crank at all?

Racefan966
YES THE MOTOR CRANKS OVER BUT NO POWER TO ANY THING. EXCEPT PARKING LIGHTS AND LICEN. PLATE LIGHT AND A FEW LIGHTS ON DASH LIKE WASHER FLUID COOLANT LIGHT. AND ALSO NO POWER TO ELECTRIC WINDOWS OR HEATED SEAT.

Larry62882
OK lets start with tying to get power. Now near the battery off the positive cable there is a couple of fuse links make sure that they are good and not burnt. So the battery cable goes to the starter relay and off the starter relay there is a brown wire and green wire those are the wires with the fuse links that I would like you to check. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Racefan966
Ok I checked the fuse links and there good

Larry62882
Ok near the battery there is a solenoid (see pic). I need you to check it for power. Now the battery cable from the battery (+) side goes to it should have power now there should be no power to the other side. Now I need you to crank it over and see if there is power to the other side and check the S term and then check the I term. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_51047_2.jpg

Racefan966
OK THE SOLENOID I HAVE ON CAR ONLY HAS 1 WORE THAT PUSHES ON WITH 2 BIG WIRES THAT BOLT ON 1 FROM BATTERY AND 1 GROUND.

Larry62882
Ok if you would include pic as that is now how it should be it grounds through the base. Should be wired as such. Battery to solenoid (large post). Ignition switch to solenoid (large post on battery side). Solenoid to start (other large post). Ignition switch to neutral saftey switch to solenoid (small post). Base is ground. This is according to the wiring diagram for you car. So what I would like to know is if there is power to the small post when you try to crank it over. Let me know what you have there. Thanks.

Racefan966
Ok yes it has power to the small wire and the other big terminal is hot all the time when I crank it over have power to all wires that hook up to solenoid they are all hot small wire is hot when cranked ty larry

Larry62882
So I take it that it is cranking over now but still not starting? If this is correct then if you would remove a spark plug wire from a spark plug and put a philips screw driver in the end and put it near metal (valve cover) and crank it over and see if there is spark.

Racefan966
The car has always cranked over but im not getting any power to fuel pumps threw the wires I have by passed the fuel reset switch was hoping it was that but it wasnt there is no power coming from fuse panel when I use a test light on the wire that goes to fuel pumps and dead I have replace the relays but still nothing could it be the ecc or the fuse panel its self?
Ty larry

Larry62882