REAR BRAKE PADS

Ford Mustang

Have a 2002 Mustang, 45,000 miles. 3.8 (I think)Changed front pads ok but could not compress the piston on the rear caliper. I actually broke my compressing tool which has always worked fine. Had to put old pads back on. Emergency brake was off. Even opened the beed nipple a bit to see if that would release some pressure but still no luck.

Thanks for your help.
Johnt

Just taking a shot here on that one but did the caliper possibly thread back in to the housing? Some rear discs are threaded and are turned back in like a screw. See if yours will do this and it should have a couple of slots to put a tool to assist with it. You should be able to do so with a very big screwdriver.

Bruce Hunt
Bruce,
That makes sense since there was absolutely no give at all when I tried to compress the piston. I'll try this out. Thanks for your help.
PS You said " some rear discs are threaded" - did you mean piston, not disc?

Johnt
If its got abs I would say to open bleeder valve to keep from risking possible abs problems then bleed braks afterwards.

1bigg1
Yes I meant the piston. Sorry

Bruce Hunt