342 STROKER BLOWING HEAD GASKETS

1934 Ford Mustang

I have a 94 Mustang GT that I have but a 342 stroker in. The long block was built by Central Coast Mustang, and they have been no help. This is the third time that a head gasket has blown. The last time I had the head checked for wrapage and had the deck check. Everything was perfect it was seguested that I go to metal head gaskets, they last the longest. I had the computer chipped by Diablo. I even swapped what side the heads where on since it was always the right side that I was having the problem with. Well the right side just gave out again. I also used torque twiset head bolts the last time. The timing has been checked by a ford, and was reset. I have about 25,000 miles on the engine. This has always happened under normal diriving conditions. Do you have any ideas that might help me. I am ruing out of money. Lol
Mark Breitwiser

I would look carefully at the header on the right side. Insure you have a high quality gasket to conduct heat from the head. Do you have an air dam on the rad cowling to force air on the engine? I think the problem is heat related. Is there good water flow through the head and are you using the new high temp coolant at 50%.

Let me know, I am an old racer from way back.

Losone
I have ceramic coated headers, and I am using ford racing header gaskets. I have a Hi flow water pump, and have made sure that the head gasket does not block any of the ports. I am using regular antifreeze with red line water wetter; I have a racing aluminum radiator with two eletric fans. Thanks for your info

Mark Breitwiser
You can ask any of the old Ford racing mechanics about water flow. If the water flows too fast through the head it will not cool right. On occasions I had to cut every other impeller from a water pump to slow the water flow.

Go to Napa and buy an infa red Temp gun and check for hot spots on the head. Compare one side with the other.

My last Ford engine was a full race 429 big block stroker and I had a water flow problem on the right head. Those are huge heads over 100 lbs a piece. I went from a hi-flow water pump to a stock Ford pump and it fixed the problem. You have to admit, some thing is wrong and I don't think it is gaskets or the head.

Are you running a t-stat? If not PUT ONE IN! It will modify the water flow so the engine will cool evenly.

Good luck

Losone