RADIATOR NOT CIRCULATING.

1979 Ford LTD

Engine Cooling problem
1979 Ford LTD V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112000 miles

I recently purchased this 1979 Ford LTD as a cheap run around car. When I was driving it home it overheated on me. I have changed the thermostat, water pump, several hoses, and had the radiator checked out. It was flow checked and was flowing at 85%. Also, the heater does not blow any hot air. I removed the thermostat and got the car home without it overheating. After I replaced the thermostat, the radiator does not flow and boils over after the engine gets hot. Both upper and lower radiator hoses as well as the upper and lower heater hoses seem to be getting hot when the engine gets hot. The question is, why is the radiator not flowing?
Ksumatt96

If you installed the thermostat it may be upside down if it overheats very quick. The heater may be clogged. YOu can pull the hoses and put a garden hose to it and back flush it and sometimes that works to get the crap out and make it heat again. As far as the radiator goes, when your car is overheated, feel on differennt spots on the radiator. If you feel any cold spots, then the radiator is junk. Also if the fins are loose around the tubes, it's junk no matter how much it flows. The radiator should be the same temperature all over to work right. At idle it maybe hard to differentiate any flow due to the water pump not spinning very fast.