CODE P1889

2005 Ford Freestyle

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2005 Ford Freestyle 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I HAVE INTERMITTENT CODE P1889 AND MALFUNCTION AWD MESSAGE. I HAVE REPLACED THE FLUID TEMP SENSOR AT THE DIFFERENTIAL MODULE.

After replacing the sensor I still have the same problem. What is the next step?
Jerry Katt

TSB
08-4-11 TRACTION CONTROL LAMP ON - NO DTCS PRESENT, OR DTC P1889 IN DIFFERENTIAL ELECTRONIC MODULE (DEM)

Publication Date: February 14, 2008

FORD: 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle
MERCURY: 2005-2007 Montego

This article supersedes TSB 06-6-3 to update the symptom and the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Montego vehicles equipped with All Wheel Drive (AWD) may exhibit the traction control warning lamp on. If the traction control lamp is on but no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are retrieved, be sure to directly self test the DEM (4X4 module) using the diagnostic scan tool.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Install the diagnostic scan tool and retrieve any available DTCs from the DEM, Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) module and Instrument Cluster. If there are DTCs in the ABS module or instrument cluster, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09 for ABS or WSM, Section 413-01 for instrument cluster for proper diagnostics. Do not continue with this TSB.
NOTE: ALTHOUGH THE SAME WARNING LAMP IS SHARED FOR BOTH SYSTEMS, THE DTCS FOR THE AWD AND TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM ARE NOT STORED IN THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) AS ON SOME OTHER FORD/MERCURY VEHICLES. THE DEM (4X4 MODULE) MUST BE SELECTED, AS IT IS AN OPTIONAL MODULE ONLY USED ON AWD VEHICLES. TRACTION CONTROL DTCS ARE STORED IN THE ABS MODULE. VEHICLE WIRING AND COMMUNICATION DTCS RELATED TO THE AWD AND TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM ARE STORED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.

If DTC codes other than P1889 are present in the DEM, refer to WSM, Section 205-00 for additional diagnostic routines and do not follow this TSB procedure.
If DTC code P1889 is the only code present in the DEM, replace the oil pressure/temperature sensor (4B487) and clear the code. Refer to WSM, Section 205-02 under DEM In-Vehicle Repair.
NOTE: WHEN REPLACING THE OIL PRESSURE / TEMPERATURE SENSOR, THE O-RING SEAL (INCLUDED IN THE KIT) ON THE ADJACENT SOLENOID VALVE MUST ALSO BE REPLACED.

NOTE: THE SOLENOID VALVE NORMALLY COMES OUT OF THE ON-DEMAND COUPLING AS THE DEM IS REMOVED. IF IT DOES NOT, EITHER REMOVE IT BY HAND, OR CAREFULLY REMOVE IT WITH PLIERS.

Remove the existing O-ring from the coupling body. (Figure 1)

Install the new O-ring included in the Pressure Sensor Kit, on the solenoid valve.

Install the solenoid valve and oil pressure/temperature sensor into the DEM (not into the coupling body) prior to assembling the DEM to the coupling body.
NOTE: INSTALL THE OIL PRESSURE / TEMPERATURE SENSOR WASHER WITH THE CONCAVE (DISHED) SIDE FACING THE DEM.

Perform a dynamic evaluation.
Start the engine and allow the vehicle to idle for a minimum of 5 minutes with the transmission in park.
Perform five (5) 0-25 MPH (0-40 Km/h) wide-open-throttle accelerations.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7F9Z-4B487-A Pressure Sensor Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
080411A 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, Montego AWD Replace The Pressure Sensor Includes Time To Check DTCs And, Road Test (Do Not Use With 12650D, 12650DX1, 12651D, 12651DX1, 12651D4) 1.0 Hr.

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_1_4.gif

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_2_4.gif

BMRFIXIT
Perhaps I was unclear. I already changed the sensor the service bulletin refers to. I t did not fix the problem.

Jerry Katt
Make sure you have the new style seal
check the picture above
every one in the shop said it
very easy to over look

BMRFIXIT
I removed the unit again to make sure I had the seal in place. It was. I noticed on the TSB that the old seal was a basic o ring. When I first took it apart it had the same type of seal as the new replacement. Does this mean the sensor has been replaced before? A tech at the local Ford garage said I should replace the pump next. What do you think?

Jerry Katt
Old seal is just an O ring the new one should be dif
check the picture above

BMRFIXIT
OK so the old seal was also the new style. The question is what do I do now.

Jerry Katt
Then if all checking OK next step is the pump

BMRFIXIT
I have a 2006 Ford Five Hundred with AWD and the Temperature sensor has been changed twice and I still have the P1889 code. The local Mercury Lincoln shop, says I can replace the DEM, and Oil Pump, but that is very expensive. Or I can get a rear end from a wrecked car and use the parts. I am just wondering if it could be fixed some other way or if it is something else?

Oakley0
I had the same problem w/ a customer's car. The Ford shop manual doesn't offer much in the way of diagnostic info on the Freestyle AWD system. Scan for codes, replace expensive parts seems to be the mantra.

There is a filter in the rear diff of your car that often becomes clogged & flags this code. No mention is made of this filter in the Ford diagnostic info.

Fortunately, this car largely uses Volvo underpinnings & it shares a rear diff w/ many AWD Volvo cars and SUVs. Your local Volvo dealer should have the filter in stock under part number 30787687. You'll want to change the oil in the front portion of the rear diff while you're there. It is available under Volvo part number 116-1641. You'll need two (2) containers of oil to refill the front portion of the rear differential.

Realworldfix
Oakley0, as realworldfix says, try changing the fluid first. Then check the pump output pressure. If these are good (or done) and you still have the problem, then yes, you may have to replace the rear end.

Rivermikerat