CAR WANTS TO START BUT WONT

2004 Ford Freestar

2004 Ford Freestar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

4 days ago our car was running fine but when my wife came out of school the car would not start. Sounded like it wanted to but just would not catch. It is not battery everything works. My friend came with his flatbed to tow the truck to my house when he put it in my driveway I tried to start it and it started right up. Ran great all weekend long no problems. Then yesterday after I took my son back to college and the car running for 3 straight hours I parked it. Went out 2 hours later it started up but the rpms were going up and down till it finally stalled and now it wont start again. How can it run fine one minute and not start the next.I tried it again this morning and it sounds like it wants to start but just wont catch?
Dgrammel