ENGINE DIES WHILE DRIVING

Ford Focus

We have a 2001 Ford Focus with 80,000 miles on it. It is a 4 cylinder automatic. Recently the car engine has started dying while the car is moving. Going up hills, and running the A/C seem to aggravate the problem. This is something we are experiencing now, although we have had the car for almost 2 years. We have taken it to several mechanics, and none can find a problem. Recently on an extended drive (3 hrs) it began doing this about 1 1/2 hours into the trip, and continued to die not long after restarting the car. When it dies, we go to nuetral and restart the car, or just shut if off altogether and restart it. It restarts right up, but then dies a short distance down the road. Please help! No one can figure this out. Should I just take it back to a Ford dealership, or continue trying the local mechanics? Thank you for any help you can give us.
Lenau

Hopefully you have been informed by now but if not the Focus had an unofficial recall where they didn't have to let you know but if you go in with to a dealership with the symptoms they are required to fix it. I had a 2001 Focus that had the same problem and decided to look it up on the internet since mechanics were stumped. I found a couple sites with people with similar issues. My car died on the highway for me, it's very scary and BS how Ford isn't required to be more informative on the issue. There are actually 4 things they were required to repair on my model completely free of charge. The part that will piss you off is when you go in and they tell you if you don't have the problem then you have to pay them
$80 for the diagnostic test. I think that is a ploy thinking you will just say oh well never mind. But everything you describe is what happened to me. The thing that causes it to die has to do with the fuel system it helps to keep a full tank if you haven't noticed that yet. I had my car for a year before I had any issues then it just kept getting worse. So get it checked soon it can get really dangerous if you are going fast. I have heard of many people getting into wrecks because of it. Don't let Ford try to screw you there are a few recalls they have to take care of besides the main issue. You should leave not paying a penny. Good luck!

Nanimo