BRAKE DRUMS

Ford Focus

2002 ford focus. I am having trouble getting the drums off. After banging on them someone told me the auto maker has bolted these drums on( for Focus 2002 and over). I never heard of that. Are the bolts in the back and do I need a special tool?
Markfran

Normaly the tire lug nuts hold the wheel and brake drum on. I'm sure your focus is the same. Brake drums develop a rust ridge around the inside the brake drum. The ridge catches the brake shoes when you try to remove it.

What you need to do is to back off the brake adjustment starwheel. This will let the brake shoes pull inward toward each other. Now they will not hang up on the drum's ridge. You can access the adjuster from the rear of the brake shoe backing plate. There will be an oval shaped slot with a plug in it. Remove it and use 2 screwdrivers or brake adjusting tools to back the adjuster off.

When you have the drum removed use a hand grinder to remove the rust ridge before you reinstall the drum.

Good luck and post back with questions/results. : )

Peppermrj