HARD BRAKE PEDAL

2006 Ford Focus

Brakes problem
2006 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 32000 miles

My brake pedal sometimes feels very firm and the brakes seem to bind a little. This usually happens at start up but if I don't brake for a few mins they seem to work ok after that.
This first happened after I gave the brakes a few hard pumps to test them.
When it happens it can go back to normal of its own accord or if I park the car for a while they return to normal.
1.8 tdci focus zetec 06
John mcLaren

On the booster, right behind the master, locate the air vacuum line, where it connects there is a plastic elbow, this is a check valve to allow vacuum in, but not out, I think your symtoms are either this valve needs replacing, or the booster itself is weak, or maybe even the vacuum hose may have a split, check all three.

Merlin2021
Thanks, I will check tomorrow. I read that there was a recall on this vehicle for the vacuum non return valve(is that the same thing) but when I contacted the local ford dealer he said ford had no recall for my reg no.

John mcLaren
INCREASED BRAKE PEDAL EFFORTS REQUIRED ON INITIAL STOPPING AFTER COLD START AT HIGH ALTITUDE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN Reference Number(s): 06-18-5, Date of Issue: September 18, 2006 FORD: 2005-2007 Focus Superceded Bulletin(s): 05-16-13, Date of Issue: August 22, 2005 Related Ref Number(s): 05-16-13, 06-18-5 ARTICLE BEGINNING ISSUE NOTE: This article supersedes TSB 05-16-13 to update the vehicle model years. Some 2005-2007 Focus vehicles, equipped with the 2.0L 4V (non PZEV) engine, may require increased brake pedal efforts during initial stopping after cold starts at high altitude (5,000 feet and above). This may be caused by reduced engine vacuum supply at the brake booster. ACTION DO NOT PERFORM THIS TSB FOR BRAKE CONCERNS OTHER THAN INCREASED BRAKE PEDAL EFFORTS AT HIGH ALTITUDES (5,000 FEET AND ABOVE). Install an aspirator assembly and reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release B43.16 and higher, or B44.8 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com. Refer to the following Service Procedure. SERVICE PROCEDURE NOTE: THE BRAKE ASPIRATOR SERVICE FIX WAS ONLY DESIGNED FOR THE 2.0L NON PZEV ENGINE. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose and check valve at the brake booster. 1. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose at the intake manifold. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. 2. Disconnect the brake booster vacuum hose retainer clip from the valve cover stud. 3. Remove the brake booster vacuum hose and check valve assembly and discard. 4. Disconnect the vent tube from the air cleaner outlet pipe. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01. 5. Remove the two (2) clamps on both ends of the air cleaner outlet pipe and remove the air cleaner outlet pipe and discard. 6. NOTE: DO NOT DISCARD THE AIR CLEANER OUTLET PIPE CLAMPS AS THEY WILL BE REUSED IN STEP 7.
Install the new air cleaner outlet pipe included with the aspirator assembly, Part Number 5S4Z-9C490-AA, and insert the vent pipe. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01 ( Fig. 1 ). 7. Insert the aspirator assembly brake booster vacuum line into the intake manifold. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01 ( Fig. 1 ). 8. Insert the aspirator assembly brake booster vacuum line into the brake booster ( Fig. 1 ). 9. NOTE: THE NEW ASPIRATOR ASSEMBLY DOES NOT INCLUDE A CHECK VALVE AT THE BRAKE BOOSTER END OF THE VACUUM LINE. THE CHECK VALVE IS NOW LOCATED INTERNALLY IN THE ASPIRATOR ASSEMBLY AND IS NO LONGER NEEDED AT THE BRAKE BOOSTER END OF THE VACUUM LINE. BE CAREFUL NOT TO PUSH THE GROMMET INTO THE BRAKE BOOSTER WHEN INSTALLING THE VACUUM LINE. Insert the aspirator assembly retaining clip onto valve cover stud ( Fig. 1 ). 10. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release B43.16 and higher, or B44.8 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B44 CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at http://www.motorcraft.com. 11. Fig. 1: Aspirator Assembly.
I checked for any recalls, and there are none for brakes, only this tech bulliten for 2.0 engines, but the symtoms are right for this, or at least these parts.

Merlin2021