LIFTERS

2003 Ford Focus

2003 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 70000 miles

We have a 2003 ford focus with 70,000 miles on it, and when we cranked it this morning the lifters were tapping bad. What should be done to correct this? And is it safe to drive like that? I think maybe a oil change would help. We did'nt let it warm up either.
Alex4901

Did you think to check the oil level? If not check it, it might just be low on oil. Also when was your last oil change?

While checking oil look under car for any indication of a possible oil leak.

Post findings.

.

Obxautomedic
Yes the oil was fiine, no leaks, and the oil change is'nt due for another 1,500 miles.

Alex4901
Ok, when you started it did you immediately shut it off when you heard the lifters? If so start it and let it run for about a minute. If they quiet down you may want to have the oil pressure tested.

Also have you owned from new? If so have you kept the oil changes on the maintenance schedule reccommended for the vehicle.

Also what is the temp in your area? I may thin the oil out and you may need a heavier wieght oil.

.

Obxautomedic
Yes the car was bought new, and oil changes have been consistant.I let it run for a little while, but my wife is real paranoid about simple things.I feel like a oil change with a little heavier oil would help it out. The car only has 70,000 miles on it. She has used a synthetic blend before, but I used conventional the last two oil changes.I live in South Carolina and it's hot.

Alex4901
Ok, think that might be the problem. If you use synthetic oil then you should either stay with it or use it every other oil change.

So, go ahead with oil change even though it is early.

Post result of oil change.

.

Obxautomedic