TRANSMISSION SLIPPING

2000 Ford Focus

2000 Ford Focus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 117, 00 miles

Ford Focus, 2000, 4 cyl.

I replaced my transmission at 58,000 miles. This new transmission now has 59,000 miles on it.

Drove about 2 miles and noticed that the trans was slipping. Put my foot on gas and it would hesitate, then go into gear. Pulled over and checked the fluid--it was fine and the color was red. Drove another block and it still continued to slip. Put the car into 2nd, and it drove without slipping. Drove about 1/2 mile to destination and pulled into a parking spot.

When tyring to get out of the spot, reverse did not catch. I was up against a curb, so I didn't want to gun it--I'm a woman, so I don't know anything much about transmissions. Got towed, and the guy who towed it, put it into reverse and backed it out.

Took it to my mechanic (the guy who replaced the trans) and he drove it and it slipped. The next day, he drove it, and it did not slip. He checked " everything he could" and could not find a problem. One of his mechinics drove it later that day, and no slipping.

I'm afraid to drive this car. What to do?
Costance4300

A person can tell a lot about what's going on inside a transmission by pulling the pan and seeing whats laying inside. From your description, it sounds like a clutch pack is losing pressure when the trans fluid gets warm. If this be the case, there should be evidence in the pan. Hope this helps.

James W.
You had a Ford Focus that had problem with a transmission that was replaced at 58000 milies with a transmission that had 59000. When they drove the car with the replacement transmission it slipped and also when parked would not go into reverse. This is common with a lot of ford transmissions if they have been pumped dry of fluids. It is actually air lock in the valve body as well as air in the clutch pack pistons. When we replace or flush a ford transmission we always run it on stands first then road test and road test the next day also before letting the customer have the car. So the mechanic saying he could not find anything wrong was because the air had worked out.

Spdcars