TIMING BELT

2000 Ford Focus

2000 Ford Focus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 80,000 miles

this is a ford focus 2000 2. Ol split port and my husband wants to get his timing belt and sepentine belt replaced but my question is while looking up the parts online I noticed they have the belts by themselfs or a kit that has the pulleys. Do we need the belts or the kit. What do most people get when just doing this regular maintinace on there car. And also is there places that will put these on if you have the parts already and just charge you for labor?
Kitty3

Hi there,

thank you for the donation.

It is a good idea to invest a few extra $$$ and do the full job with the kits, this way you know that it is all done and is serviceable, you don't want to be pulling it down later to do a noisy bearing in an idler. Most work shops should fit parts supplied, but it would be best to shop around and make suer and get the best price.

Mhpautos
Okay that sounds like a good idea.I will search the web for the best prices then on a serpentine belt kit and a timing belt kit. And hopefully with me getting my own parts the shop I find to put it on wont charge me alot for labor. Becasue im sure if I was to let them do it they would get the high cost parts dont you think so?Thank you so much

Kitty3
Also I forgot to ask do they make a serpentine belt kit or have to get it seperate?I think I seen a timing belt kit though. And should I go ahead and get a water pump to while they are breaking it down?

Kitty3
HI there,

some manufactures do a serpentine kit or you can just get the tensioner as a separate item, the water pump is a good idea some do it some don't, if it was mine I would. As for the labour charge, this is a vexing question, as small businesses do relay on the margin on parts to help make ends meet, you may find that they will load the bill a touch to compensate, but I hope that they would do the right thing and not.

Mhpautos