MISFIRES AT SLOW SPEEDS

2000 Ford Focus

I have a 2000 Ford Focus Zetec- 78,000 miles. Acceleration is fine (now) but the car seems to judder & misfire whenever I slow/ change down. Very occasionally the engine cuts out completely & the steering locks. Steering is also heavy on occasion.

The misfiring used to happen when accelerating but this stopped when I replaced the spark plugs. I also replaced the fuel filter. I can't afford to take it to Ford so I need some help- should I try new plug leads? Or is there something serious the matter?

Thanks guys.
Darrena

Does it have a coil pack with the four ignition wires going to it at the end of the cyl head? If it does, remove it and check the bottom of it for burn marks or cracks. Also try putting some water on the coil while its running and touching a screw driver to it and holding it about an 1/8" away from a good ground it there is any arcing it is NFG.

Cosmo. Mazda TEch

Cosmo