BLOWN HEAD GASKET

2000 Ford Focus

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Ford Focus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 10000 miles

my car has been overheating and wont hold water and cant find a leak so I took it to a mechanic who said a blown head gasket. What is the average cost for something like that, and if I have been driving with a blown head gasket what other damage would that cause, both to make sure they dont not fix things (sometimes it seems like after I take my car in for one thing I have to take it back a bit later for something else!) Or charge me for things that dont need fixed thank you Tara
Tjillie

As long as you have kept the water level and oil level at proper full marks than there shouldn't be any damage other than the gasket. If the vehicle overheated than there may be a chance that the head has warped and cracked and may need replacing as well. The mechanic will be able to do a test on the head once it is removed for the gasket replacement. Estimate is below for replacing your vehicle's head gasket..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_662.jpg