03 SVT BRAKE ?

2003 Ford Focus

I own a 2003 Ford SVT Focus with 42000 miles. I just replaced the front pads and turned the rotors. I went to do the back but when I tried to collapse the cylinder in the caliper it wouldnt move what so ever. So I had to put the worn pads back on. My? Is why wont the cylinder move? The e-brake that connects to the caliper looks a little different to me then what ive seen in the past. The e-brake was off by the way. I then thought maybe the cylinder wouldnt move becuase I just done the front and hadnt pumped the brakes at all, and since both front calipers were already collapsed maybe I had no more movement of fluid. Can you help me?
DGB302

Most rear caliper brakes require that the caliper be screwed back into the calpier when replacing brake pads. I have never replaced rear pads for your type of car but I'am willing to bet you will need a special tool to screw the calipers back in. Go to the store where you purchased the pads and inquire which tool you need ( this varies from make & model) to complete the job. Good luck : ) Ps The tool shouldn't be that expensive but you may be able to rent it if you don't want to go for the tool

Backyardmechanic
I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. I use a c clamp to collapse the cylinder in the front calipers. Your saying there might be a tool to screw in the cylinder in the caliper? Im confused.

DGB302
You can't use a C clamp on the rear calipers you have to use the tool that will fit into the piston of the caliper so that you can turn them back in. The rear calipers operate differently than the fronts, every time you apply the brakes the rear piston in the caliper turns ever so slightly in order for the pad to make contact this is how the rear pads adjust themselves and the emergency (parking) brake is applied

Backyardmechanic
The rear caliper contains a gear mechanism that operates the parking brake on most Fords, some trucks may be different, that's why you must screw it in, if you insist on cranking it with a c-clamp, you may break it internally, person above is correct, the tool you can buy comes a couple of different ways, for like 10 n\bucks or so, you can get the socket that works with your ratchet, or you can buy a whole kit, which is probably a waste of dollars for the regular guy, or as above person suggested most auto parts stores rent toolset for this project, you pay the price of the set and get your money back when you return it. The set is nice because the tool uses a backing plate against the opposite side of the piston, the hand tool you buy just fits on your ratchet and you must apply pressure to make sure the ears stay in the slots, no big deal really, Just be sure you get the correct piece, there are different sizes for different models.

TaurusWheel