DISTRIBUTOR, CATALYTIC CONVERTER OR SOMETHING ELSE?

Ford Festiva

I have a 4 cylander 4 spped 1988 Ford Festiva with 164,000 miles on it. Its been a real gem since I started driving it 6 months ago. Recently I replaced the center pipe. Immediately after that the engine would stop while moving for no reason soon after starting during the first few minutes of operation - just dead -
This went on for three days, I would start it right up after stalling with no trouble. This happened yesterday and it wouldn't start back up. There was smoke coming out of the catalytic converter (not a rotten egg smell) and the oil level was very high. The oil had splashed into the area where the air filter sits and it was abnormally hot. My instincts say that the cat is clogged, but my mechanic says replace the distributor. I'm afraid I burned out the distributor during those days of driving with the stalling, and the cat needs replacing. What do you think?
Festiva VT