NOISE FROM LOWER ENGINE.

1988 Ford Festiva

Noises problem
1988 Ford Festiva 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 146000 miles

I changed the oil in my Festiva yesterday, driving it up onto ramps for the first time. I had always used jacks before. 4-5 hours later I left to go home, and I noticed that after I let the clutch out of 4th gear, there was slightly grinding screech noise. 10 miles down the road, the car made the noise in 3rd gear, and 4th gear. By the time I got back to my town, it was making this noise as I let out the clutch in all gears, except first. I went out there this morning, and started it up. When I let out the clutch, in neutral, it sounded like gravel! The car was fine before this. The only thing different I noticed is that I have a pretty good oil leak from the valve cover. There was quite a bit of dried, and wet oil on it. My next move was to replace the valve cover gasket, and I will, but this is really got me confused. I am a woman, and know some things about cars, and can do some maintenance. Any help would be appreciated.
Dkane71